Friday, June 09, 2006

really early

"Come, Thou fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise."

Today we left out flats at 2:30am to catch the sunrise at Stonehenge. We were standing inside the ancient ruin watching the sun come up over these amazing rolling hills and pastures filled with sheep. Since it's like a giant ancient clock/calendar it made me think about our need to place ourselves in the cosmos, and see where we stand in time.

After that we headed to Salisbury cathedral, which was absolutely beautiful. But you can't help but sit and think what their intention was in building this giant building with the bodies of all kinds of people buried there. It's just so huge and grandiose and unnecessary. I don't know if I like it.

We've also been touring these amazing design studios such as Pentagram, and Michael Johnson . Just hearing about what it takes to be good in the industry. I like Michael Johnson because he describes his business as a Robin Hood company. He takes on Huge clients to pay the bills and ultimately do free design for the museums and things that he really cares about. He's also an amazing guitar player.We went to the V&A museum yesterday and saw a photo exhibit on the iconic image of Che Guavera. I'd already seen the exhibit at ICP in New York, but somehow everything just looks cooler here. The way it was set up the exhibit was so much better organized. We also saw an exhibit on 60's clothes in london and psychadelic 60's posters which was fun.

We went to the design school here in london to get a taste of how they do things "across the pond" and I was blown away by their photo department. I'm seriously considering switching from graphic design to photography as a concentration. I need to have a long talk with Bill about it.

Another beautiful experience was on Wednesday my friend Melissa was having a really bad day, and I was exhausted and feeling a little lonely, so we decided to go on an adventure. We ended up at the Tower Bridge and it was lit up and pretty much breathtaking. We walked across to this outdoor ampitheatre right on the Thames and watched this old black and white film outside. It was fantastic.

I won't bore you guys anymore, but things are going well. Still getting used to stuff, and figuring things out. I wish some of you were here! I miss you a ton.

No comments: